6 All Natural Home Remedies
With winter comes the inevitability of fighting the sniffles, congestion, and aches and pains that go hand in hand with the changing weather. At some point, that bug will eventually latch on—be it from a room full of colleagues or children, or riding public transit.
While it is difficult to prevent your exposure to nasty germs, the good news is there is no need to always empty your wallet on over-the-counter medications as soon as you feel sick. Here are some old-fashioned ways to find comfort during cold and flu season.
1. Chicken soup. While it may be time consuming to boil a pot for two to three hours, the from-scratch version is a great way to go. Be sure to include chicken for the protein fix, and carrots, parsnip slices, a bulb of garlic, chunks of onion and spices to taste. The ensuing warmth, nutrition and hydration will all help with the feel-goods (especially when your appetite for solid food is kind of iffy).
2. Finding comfort when you’ve got a cough or cold can be as simple as three ingredients: A cup of hot water, honey and a squeeze of lemon. Honey has a soothing effect and drops of lemon add a nice taste.
3. Try baked garlic. It contains few calories, is rich with antioxidants and nutrition, and is cheap to purchase..
4. Tea time. Remember when mom plied you with a hot mug of tea on those days you were curled up under your blankets, feeling like a freight train was running through your head? She was on to something. Drink up that cuppa tea after adding honey to help ease your irritated throat.
5. Ever tried a fruit smoothie when you’re not feeling well? It is happiness in a cup. Whether made with fresh fruit or frozen, blend it together with some yogurt and voilà—sweet taste and a bonus infusion of vitamins.
6. Nothing captures the warmth of comfort food like a tasty bowl of freshly mashed potatoes. Potatoes contain vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium. Other advantages are that most people find them easy to digest and they are simple to prepare. And did we mention cheap?
These quick home remedies are easy to prepare, and, best of all, will leave you feeling comforted and your wallet feeling fine. Don’t lose sleep about staying healthy this winter season.
General information not about PC Financial products is provided for your reference and interest only. The above content is intended only to provide a summary and general overview on matters of interest and is not a substitute for, and should not be construed as the advice of an experienced professional. PC Financial does not guarantee the currency, accuracy, applicability or completeness of this content.